Checking blood glucose levels at home is an important step in managing diabetes. It allows individuals to monitor their blood sugar levels and make adjustments to their diet, exercise, and medication regimen as needed.(1)
Frequently checking fasting and random blood glucose levels is crucial for individuals with diabetes because it allows them to keep their blood sugar levels within a healthy range. High blood sugar levels, also known as hyperglycemia, can lead to a host of health problems such as diabetic ketoacidosis, nerve damage, and kidney damage. On the other hand, low blood sugar levels, also known as hypoglycemia, can cause seizures and unconsciousness. By frequently checking blood glucose levels, individuals with diabetes can prevent these serious complications.(2)
Best Ways to Check Blood Glucose Levels at Home?
There are several ways to check blood glucose levels at home, but the most common method is by using a Glucometer.
A Glucometer is a small, portable device that measures the amount of glucose in a drop of blood. Other methods include continuous glucose monitoring systems and glucose monitoring through the use of a smartphone app.(3)
Top 10 Glucometer Brands in India
- Dr. Morepen
- Johnson & Johnson
How to Use a Glucometer to Check Blood Sugar Levels?
Here is a step by step procedure on how to use a Glucometer:
- First, wash your hands with soap and water and dry them thoroughly.
- Next, insert a test strip into the glucometer.
- Using the lancing device, prick the side of your finger to draw a small drop of blood.
- Touch the edge of the test strip to the drop of blood, making sure that it is well saturated.
- The glucometer will display the blood glucose level within a few seconds.
- Record the results in a logbook or on a smartphone app.(4)
Another way to check fasting and random blood glucose levels at the comfort of home is by using, Continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) devices, which make this process easier by providing real-time glucose readings throughout the day. By using a CGM device, individuals with diabetes can adjust their diet, exercise, and medication regimen as needed. In India, there are several CGM devices available such as the FreeStyle Libre, Medtronic Minimed Guardian, and the Dexcom G5. Each device has its own unique features and benefits, so it's essential to consult with your doctor to determine which one is best for you.(5)
How to Use Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM) Device to Check Blood Glucose Levels?
Here is a Step by Step Guide on How to Use a CGM Device:
- Consult with your doctor to determine which CGM device is best for you and to receive instructions on how to properly use it.
- Insert the sensor into the device and wear it on your body, usually on the upper arm.
- Turn on the device and wait for it to power on.
- The device will automatically take readings throughout the day, view the glucose levels on the device's screen or on a paired smartphone app.
- Check the glucose levels regularly throughout the day, especially before meals and at bedtime.
- Consult with your doctor about the readings and any adjustments you make.
- Replace the sensor after certain days as per the instructions provided by the device manufacturer.
By using a CGM device, individuals with diabetes can easily monitor their blood glucose levels and make informed decisions about their diabetes management. It is important to use the device as per instructions provided by the doctor and manufacturers to get the accurate results. With the availability of CGM devices in India, managing diabetes has become more manageable than ever before.
In summary, checking blood glucose levels at home is essential for individuals with diabetes to manage their condition. By frequently monitoring blood sugar levels, individuals can prevent serious complications such as diabetic ketoacidosis and hypoglycemia. The most common method for checking blood glucose levels at home is by using a glucometer, with several brands available in India including OneTouch, Accu-Chek, and Johnson & Johnson.
Another option for monitoring blood glucose levels at home is by a continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) device. These devices provide real-time glucose readings and can be worn on the body. It is important to consult with a doctor to determine which CGM device is best and to receive instructions on how to properly use it. With the use of these monitoring devices, individuals with diabetes can easily monitor their blood glucose levels and make informed decisions about their diabetes management.
Resources for Your Reference:
- National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases - https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/diabetes/overview/managing-diabetes
- American Diabetes Association - https://diabetes.org/healthy-living/medication-treatments/blood-glucose-testing-and-control/hyperglycemia
- Ullal A, Parmar GM, Chauhan PH. Comparison of glucometers used in hospitals and in outpatient settings with the laboratory reference method in a tertiary care hospital in Mumbai. Indian J Endocrinol Metab. 2013 Dec;17(Suppl 3):S688-93. doi: 10.4103/2230-8210.123569. PMID: 24910840; PMCID: PMC4046589.
- Mathew TK, Tadi P. Blood Glucose Monitoring. [Updated 2022 Aug 8]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK555976/
- National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases - https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/diabetes/overview/managing-diabetes/continuous-glucose-monitoring
- Top 10 Simple Tips to Manage Blood Glucose Levels at Home
- What are the Symptoms of High Blood Sugar (Hyperglycemia)?
- How to Reduce Blood Sugar Level Immediately?